If you are experiencing errors with your hoverboard, the first thing you want to do is to calibrate it.
The gyro sensors are often the cause of the most common hoverboard issues. The problems they cause are easily fixed by calibrating, also known as resetting your hoverboard.
In this article, I will teach you how to calibrate your hoverboard in as little as 10 seconds.
When and why should you need to calibrate your hoverboard
All hoverboards need to be calibrated from time to time, some more often than others. It depends on how much you use it and how hard you use it.
Two commonly occurring reasons are accidents or that you have not used it for a long time.
The main symptoms that indicate you need to calibrate your hoverboard are:
- The hoverboard is shaking, vibrating, or spinning out of control.
- It is over-sensitive while leaning forward/backward or when turning left/right.
- The hoverboard is not in level when you mount and stand still on it. It is either leaning forward or backward.
- If the gyro sensors are too out of balance, the hoverboard might not even be rideable.
By calibrating your hoverboard, you can easily remove all these problems. Then you have a fully functional hoverboard that you can use again.
Instructions on how to calibrate your hoverboard
There are two ways to calibrate your hoverboard, using a mobile application, or using the power button on your hoverboard.
Not all hoverboards are app-enabled. We will therefore start with the universal way using the on/off button.
That has worked on every single hoverboard model that I have calibrated, and those are in the hundreds.
How to calibrate using power-button
- Make sure your hoverboard is fully charged and not connected to a device via Bluetooth.
- Put your hoverboard on a flat surface and make sure that it is leveled.
- While your hoverboard is off, press and hold the on/off button. The hoverboard’s LED will flash with short intervals. Keep holding the button pressed.
- When the LEDs start to flash with longer intervals, release the button, and restart the hoverboard. DONE!
How to calibrate using the mobile application
Using the mobile app to calibrate is simple. All apps have a different design in terms of the interface, but the core functions are the same.
Here is how you calibrate your hoverboard using a Bluetooth connected device and a mobile app:
- Make sure that you have the correct app for your model installed on your device. Also, see to it that your hoverboard has a full charge and is connected to your smart device.
- See to it that your hoverboard is leveled on a flat surface.
- Open the app and find “Calibrate this unit.” Press it.
- Wait for it to complete the calibration process and restart your hoverboard. DONE!
Pictures showing how it’s done
Congratulations, your hoverboard is now calibrated!
That’s how easy it is to calibrate a hoverboard. Just go through those 4-5 steps, and you might just have solved the problems that you are experiencing with your hoverboard.
Although it doesn’t solve all hoverboard problems, it does sort out many of the most common ones.
If you are still experiencing issues with your hoverboard, feel free to leave a comment below. I will see if I can create a guide on how you can fix it.
I have never gotten a hoverboard in for repair that I could not fix. However, some might not be worth the investment.
Now that you got your hoverboard working again, make sure you have all the safety precautions in place so that you can ride safely without any more interruptions.